What You Need to Know to Prepare Your Dance Kit
- A lot can happen at a rehearsal, a performance, or an intensive. Make sure you’re fully prepared for whatever comes you and your dancer’s way this summer, and have all you need readily available. This will mean less stress and more dancing on performance day!
- Creating the perfect dance kit doesn’t have to be hard. To get you started, we’ve detailed a full list of dance kit essentials below. Break it down in simple categories and focus on the big picture: Wellness, Beauty & Attire, and Tips & Tricks.
- Plus, check out our printable checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything next time you’re packing your dancer’s bags for a busy day.
Summer’s here, and you know what that means – recitals, dance camps, performances, oh my! Exciting as it all is, it can be overwhelming to think about every item your dancer might need throughout their rehearsals, shows, and intensives.
However, packing a bag will make those early mornings, long days, and late nights so much smoother! Plus, your dancer will be prepared for anything and everything, from costume emergencies to midday pick-me-ups.
This means they’ll be able to focus on what’s most important (having fun while dancing!) without any added stress. And of course, having the proper equipment, attire, and necessities can only help your dancer feel more comfortable throughout the day.
The hardest part is getting started, and we want to make it easier for you! We broke down our list of dance kit essentials into 3 categories – Wellness, Beauty & Attire, and Tips & Tricks.
Everything you need in your dance bag + a few tips and tricks!
Health and hydration! When you’re moving throughout the day, it’s important to make sure you are giving yourself, your mind, and your muscles the fuel and care they need.
- Reusable water bottle – for staying hydrated.
- Tennis ball – for massaging tight muscles.
- Towel – for when you’re working hard!
- First Aid Kit (band-aids, ice pack, ace bandages)
- Healthy snacks to have throughout the day – some of our favorites include:
- Fruit and nut bars
- Trail mix
- Fresh fruit
- Baby carrots or veggies and hummus
- Tip: You can always add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter for a boost of protein.
- Earbuds, headphones, or earplugs – for those moments you need to sit back and relax or focus and concentrate.
Beauty And Attire
It’s never a bad idea to bring extra clothing and shoes for any spills, tears, or rips that may happen. You’ll want to have hair and makeup necessities too!
- Sewing kit – for costumes and shoes that need extra care before or after a show.
- Warm-up gear, travel clothing, extra tights, leotards, shoes – We think overpacking is better than underpacking! Try to wear layers that you can use for warming up, and don’t forget to bring a variety of clothing and shoes so you can wear what feels most comfortable.
- Make-up bag – If you’re onstage, you may want to touch up your look after a sweaty performance or rehearsal.
- Hairspray or water bottle spray – a quick fix for fly-aways.
- Bobby pins! – To keep those buns in place.
Tips and Tricks
We’ve picked up a few hacks over the years to share with you.
- Dryer sheets – for getting rid of static on your clothes or hair.
- Clear nail polish – Tear in your tight? Dab a little clear polish to keep it from running!
- Mascara brush – Helps tame fly-aways without ruining the rest of your hair!
- Cheap Hack Options – use a laundry basket to carry all your things in if you have one handy! Or, if you’re really organized, grab a hanging travel bag.
- Umbrella – You never know when it might rain!
- Notebook & pencil – for taking notes throughout the day so you can remember all you’re learning.
- Extra clothes – It’s always good to have a change of clothing suitable for travel when you’re ready to leave for the day.
No matter where this summer may take you, it’s so important to think ahead and pack everything you and your dancer might need to ensure a positive experience for everyone. Take a look at our checklist below to make sure you don’t forget any of the essentials!